Monday, February 21, 2011

Recipe Review: Roasted Stuffed Peppers

Wow.  That's all I can really say for this recipe... It really knocked my socks off.  You've probably realized at this point that if I'm going to post about a recipe on here, it did exactly that, but I never fail to be amazed when I make something with simple ingredients, and it just turns out so fantastically.

I found this over at Smitten Kitchen, when trying to find a good pairing with grilled steak.  My patio finally thawed enough on Friday to pull the grill out from under the eaves of my house, so Nick and I decided to grab some juicy steaks and throw them on the grill.  Normally, we just chop up random veggies (broccoli, red pepper, red onion, tomatoes, you name it) and roast them in the grill pan- but I felt like something a little... prettier for dinner.  After some internet searching, I came across this recipe for Smoke-Roasted Stuffed Bell Peppers and thought it'd go well with steak.  Who ever came up with the idea of stuffing peppers with more peppers- genius.

This is my version, with a little tweaking.

Grill Roasted Stuffed Peppers
Serves 2
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1 Large Red/Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper
1/2 Jalepeno, seeds removed (or with seeds, depending on your heat index)
2/3 C Corn- I just used frozen out of the bag
1 Tbsp Butter
1/2 C Red Onions
2 Cloves of garlic- crushed
1/2 Medium Zucchini- chopped
Handful of Chopped Fresh Herbs- I used Parsley
Ground Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
1/4 C Panko Bread Crumbs (you can use any kind, I just have these on hand)
4 Small Sweet Peppers (or you can use more bell peppers- about 1/2 C)
1/4 C Parmesan Cheese

Pre-heat grill to 350º

In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Butter.  Once hot, sautee red onions for about 4 min.  Throw in garlic, sautee for another min or so.  Throw in jalepeno, sweet peppers, chopped zucchini, corn and herbs; let cook until veggies are tender.  Salt and Pepper to taste- throw in bread crumbs to soak up any remaining butter in the pan.  Set aside.

Cut Bell pepper in half- de-seed, but leave stem.  Salt and Pepper the inside of the bell pepper, then fill with the stuffing from the pan.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.

Place peppers onto grill, but NOT directly over heat source.  Turn one of the burners off to achieve this.  Close grill cover and let it cook for about 20-30 min.  Enjoy!!!  I'm sure you could cook this in the oven too, if you don't have a grill... I'm sure the cooking time/temps wouldn't vary too much.

This went great with steak, and looked beautiful.

The next day, I was hungry for lunch, and had an extra red pepper, and some leftover stuffing.  Not enough to fill both halfs, so I mixed a 1/2 C of Pinto Beans in with the stuffing... This was SO great.  A tasty vegetarian lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment