Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Edamame Hummus

I don't know if you've had Trader Joe's Edamame Hummus before... but it is a miracle of food.  It has this perfect, velvety texture that is just incomparable to any dip I've ever had before.  I had some friends over for dinner on Saturday night and decided that I was going to attempt this delicious food for an appetizer.  After looking around for some recipes, I settled on a hybrid of this one from The Delicious Life and this one from Food Network.

The result- tasty, tasty, edamame hummus that turns out, isn't really hummus at all.  Hummus, by definition, is made from chickpeas.  Oh well, that's neither here nor there, I'll call it whatever I want.  If TJ's can call it hummus, I can too.  Warning- this recipe is kind of a pain in the ass.  Delicious, but I don't know if skinning the edamame is really worth it.  Yes- it has that texture I was looking for, but it'd probably be just as tasty without the 2 hours of soy-bean skinning.

Edamame Hummus

12-16 oz bag of frozen, shelled edamame
1/4 C Tahini
1/4 C water
1-2 cloves garlic
Zest and Juice from 1 lemon- keep zest separated
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1-2 tsp Kosher salt or Matt's Mix
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Cook/steam your shelled edamame.  If you have a thousand extra hours, peel the tiny skins off of each edamame bean.  Yes, I did this.  Again, not sure if it was worth it.  Combine all ingredients save 1/2 lemon zest in the food processor.  Process!  Once you reach a smooth, consistent texture, sprinkle the remainder of the lemon zest over the top of the hummus, and eat!  I paired mine with carrots, pita triangles, cucumbers, red pepper and cauliflower.  All good.

Or- if you're feeling real lazy, just pop into your local Trader Joe's and pick up their edamame hummus.

4 comments:

  1. I made this on Friday (without skinning the edamame)-- delicious! Next time, though, less salt and more lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum- i will take the salt/lemon into account. i may have written down the recipe... but it was definitely after the fact and i really just threw everything in. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what type of olive oil is best for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren- I've found really any kind will work- I usually use extra virgin olive oil for mine. I'd also advise you to start out with much less salt and add it to taste. Same goes for the oil!

      Delete