Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Goals Through The End of the Year

My Thanksgiving Day spread a few years back
Research says (by research I mean things that I've overheard and am typing as well as I remember them) that people on average gain 6 lbs (and keep it on!) during the holiday season.  I've made it through Halloween, but still have Thanksgiving, a makeshift OU Homecoming, a trip to NYC, a Friends Holiday party, two work holiday parties, Christmas (at three-five houses!) and New Years.  That's a lot of food/booze/pie.  I've been mentally preparing myself, and am going to look at this checklist everyday until January 1st.  Then I will continue on my journey of health, but right now I feel like I'm in lock down.  Alls I know is last January 1st felt like rock bottom.  Maybe it was the tequila on New Years Eve, or the unfortunate choice of Chili's Curbside Pickup of Bacon Cheeseburgers and Mozzarella Sticks, but I felt like Jabba the Hut.  Or Pizza the Hut.  Either way, BAD NEWS BEARS.

Goals through the end of 2011:

  1. Maintain working out 3-4x a week (3x at gym, 1x at home)
    • if I'm out of town- bring gym shoes and take a long walk.
  2. Treat each occasion as it’s own- 1 MEAL, not a week
    • don't let one messed up meal get your whole day/week/month down! you can start over whenever you want- you don't have to wait until tomorrow or Monday
  3. No refills of the plate
  4. Limit desserts
    • pick one and try a small piece.  don't get an entire dessert plate
  5. Limit alcohol intake
    • alternate wine and water
  6. Drink a lot of water WITH all meals
  7. From 11/15- 1/1, no weekday drinking unless on Holiday
  8. Make soups/ low-cal meals to freeze for last minute meals
  9. Fill plate ½ with greens- salad, veggies (dry), etc
  10. Start big meals with a big green salad/ a lot of water
  11. End each day with a note about something I'm thankful for
What are your goals through the end of the year?  How do you avoid overdoing it through the holidays?

2 comments:

  1. I think I might just adopt your plan! It's comprehensive and doable!

    I'm not cooking the Thanksgiving meal this year, so that helps. My problem is never the actual meal - it's almost always what I pick at before the meal and all the leftovers afterward!

    Of course, when you are faced with eating at 3 to 5 homes for a holiday dinner, that's way more difficult than being faced with leftovers! I think your plan is excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm trying not to take any Thanksgiving leftovers home, and I volunteered to make a salad, so I know one will be available for me to eat. I know writing down these goals is one thing, and following through is another, but I'll have a good support system around me, so I'm hoping to make it about my family, and NOT just about the food!!! Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete