Friday, January 14, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Realizing that in the last 2 years I have successfully regained the 20 lbs I struggled so hard to lose (for the third time), I'm starting from scratch again. I recently began using my kitchen for more than reheating take out, and decided that maybe this time, cooking will help. With the help of my friends and family, I'm hoping to not only lose that 20 lbs, but actually keep it off. For good.

I know, I know, 20 lbs, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I've gone to WW meetings where people have lost 100 lbs over the course of a year, and it blows me away. It inspires me. If they can lose 100, what's so hard about keeping 20 stupid lbs off?

I started back to Weight Watchers again this past Wednesday, and this time, it's going to be the time that not only works, but I make it last. I'm in my mid-twenties, there's no reason I can't use this as a time in my life to take charge and set the stage for what's to come. I just want to feel good about myself, and honestly, when I look in the mirror, I don't.

So... Starting in the kitchen, my goals for this year are:

-Know where my food comes from. That means educating myself on how food is made, where meat comes from, actually KNOWING what I'm putting in my body.

-Cooking lunches and actually bringing them to work! Not eating out for lunch everyday would be a good start.

-Eating less meat! I'm from Cleveland. Every meal we ate growing up was meat, starch, and maybe some veggies. I'm Corn-Fed. I'm not looking to become a vegetarian here... but I would really like to reduce the amount of meat I consume.

-Read more! I just finished "In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan- these two books probably had more to do with my kick start in the kitchen more than anything else. I recommend stopping what you're doing immediately and pick these two up. I'm working on educating myself about how to eat, and WHY different foods affect us in different ways.

This blog is more for a record of my actual progress than anything else, but if anyone else enjoys it, hooray!

NOTE: I obviously don't know anything about anything when it comes to blogging/editing/writing/computers in general, so don't hate me for it. I'll learn as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment