Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Can't Be The Only One THIS Excited About Brussels Sprouts.... Am I?!?

Seriously though- the fact that they're back in season is making me giddy.  The 8 year old me is punching my face; the 27 year old me is loving it.  And I don't care who knows it!  There are about a million recipes out there on the blogosphere, but the one that I default to when those knobby green heads are all over at the grocery is just a simple grilled mustard recipe.  I should be attributing it to someone or something... but I've kind of adapted it and changed it and forgot where it came from.  When I make it I'm the furthest thing from being exact, so adjust to your taste.  I kind of just throw everything in.  So here goes:

Heather's Grilled Mustard Brussels Sprouts
A pound of fresh brussels sprouts, stems removed and halved
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp spicy mustard (I use Dick's Horseradish)
2-3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Wash, stem and chop your sprouts.  Pat dry, then put in a microwavable dish, and microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes.  (This steams your sprouts and cooks the middle, which the grill won't do on it's own.)  Take your steamed sprouts and coat them generously in olive oil, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.  Like I said before- I just kind of squeeze everything in and then toss the sprouts around.  Once coated, put them in a grill pan.  I usually grill these on med-high for about 7-10 minutes.  Since grills vary a lot, just keep an eye on them, and when they start to get a little brown and crispy looking, they're done.  Once you take them off the grill, put them back in the bowl that you tossed them in in the first place and give them another go around with the leftover mustard.  Serve immediately.  Serves 3-4, or 1-2 if you're being greedy.  (Or realistic)

I've paired these with everything from turkey burgers to chicken to steak, I swear, they're good with everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment