Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2011- Looking Back

Get it?  LOOKING back?  Waka waka!
We're closing in on the end of 2011, I was thinking this morning about all the things I've learned this year about myself and my health.  I may not have reached my goal weight by the end of this calander year, but I do feel as though I've changed as a person in a really good way.  I wanted to start wrapping up the year with round up of the things I've gained this year- thankfully it's not weight!

1. You can start over any time you want.  The phrase "I'm starting over on Monday" will never cross these lips again.  Seriously.  Why wait until Monday?  Or tomorrow?  If you ate poorly at lunch, just eat well for dinner.  It's seriously as simple as that.  If ALL that's available for dinner is pizza, just have a slice.  It won't kill you.  Just make a serious effort to eat well at your next meal-  it will get you back on track.

2. Junk food REALLY makes you feel like crap.  If you want a reminder of this, spend a weekend eating pizza, drinking beer, and eating fast food.  I recently spent a Saturday with college friends, eating college foods.  It was super fun, but when Sunday morning arrived with a headache, I said, screw it.  I'll eat bad again today.  Guess what- Sunday night?  The WORST.  I really haven't felt that sick from food in a LONG time.  It was the reminder I needed that eating healthy does make me feel better, all the time. 

3. It's never all or nothing.  Practice moderation.  Like I said before- if you eat poorly or skip a workout, it's not the end of the world.  You don't have to throw all your effort out the window just because you ate worse than usual.  Take it in stride, and move on.  Don't give yourself an ultimatum- you won't stick to it.

4. Exercise can be enjoyable.  This was hard for me to learn, because I thought that if I wanted to get fit, it meant being miserable at the gym, or running outside, which I hate even more.  I spent a good three months trying to get into running, hating every minute of it.  So I started taking classes at the gym and realized I could get cardio and strength training in another way.  I've always loved dance, and taking aerobic dance and zumba classes has been awesome.  I LOVE going to work out, and while I'm sweaty and look disgusting, I feel awesome and can't wait to go back for more.  If you don't enjoy exercising, you won't do it.  Period.  How long can you keep doing something you don't enjoy?  So find something you actually like, and you'll go.

5. Losing weight will never be (and should never be) fast and easy.  Let's face it.  I would've loved to be twenty pounds thinner overnight.  Hell, I would've loved to be twenty pounds thinner this year.  That being said, I have learned so much about nutrition and exercise and cooking that would not have stuck if I had gone down some easy route.   If you woke up twenty pounds thinner tomorrow, how would you have any idea to keep it off?


6. Get to know (and love) your own body.  I will never look like a twig, I will never be a supermodel.  But I know I can look and feel better in my own skin, with my own body type.  You have to love and appreciate your shape, and work on making it the best you can.  Don't base your goals off of a J. Crew model, base them off of a healthy version of you.  I can't rock skinny jeans, but I also have leg muscles that can kick your ass.

7. Find a way to make yourself accountable.  It's hard to admit, but staying healthy really is all about will power.  For me, tracking my food intake and blogging about my struggles and triumphs has really helped me to stay on the right path.  Having support from friends and family is really important, but if you don't believe in yourself that you can get there, it won't happen.  It comes down to you, so do it for the right reasons.  Stay healthy, stay happy, and stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment