Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tacos Tacos Tacos

Yum- corn and avocados are finally returning to Heinen's.  My grill is going all the time, the sun is finally shining, and the skies are clearing up.  It's spring!  We're starting to eat lighter, more colorful food at home.  My recipe this week- Shrimp Tacos!

This is a very simple recipe that yields fantastic results.  You can switch any of the ingredients out, but this is my favorite way to make 'em.

Shrimp Tacos

Ingredients:
1 head Savoy cabbage, chopped
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, sliced up

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Sriracha
1 tbsp lime juice

1 Avocado, mashed

3 Ears of corn

Soft Corn Tortillas

Soft White Mexican Cheese, shredded (I use Chihauhua- it's my favorite)

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine your lime juice, Sriracha and honey.  Put your peeled shrimp in there and let it marinate for about 30 minutes.  We're not going for Ceviche,  so don't let it soak for TOO long.  There probably isn't enough acid here to actually cook the shrimp, but still, why risk it?

Pre-heat grill to 500º.  Put corn (husks and all) directly on grate.  Turn occasionally.  This will take about 20-30 min to cook, so while the corn is cooking, sautee your red onion until tender, then sautee your cabbage with the red onion.  Salt and Pepper to taste.  This should take about 5 minutes.

Mash your avocado in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.  I love to just mix in some Matt's Mix with my mashed avocado- it's amazing.  Shred your cheese. 

Skewer your shrimp, grill them for about a minute a side, or until nicely pink and white with grill marks.  We usually microwave our soft corn tortillas for about 15 seconds so they're nice and soft.  Put together your tacos anyway you want and enjoy!!!

The crunch of the cabbage and freshly grilled corn is really nice when combined with the creamy mashed avocado.   It's not your traditional taco, but in my mind, it's better.  I like to pour on a little extra Sriracha on top, it really sends this meal over the top. 

If you wanted to make this vegetarian, I'm sure you could swap Tempe/Tofu/Grilled Vegetables for the shrimp!

I had leftover everything except for shrimp, so I grilled up some chicken in the same marinade the next day and it was fantastic.  A great summer meal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment