Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe Round Up- Soup Edition

As I'm facing the upcoming 78 months of winter looming over the lake, I am once again turning to soup as my go-to lunch and dinner.  I did this a lot last winter, and it was really helpful to have an easy take along.  One thing I learned- only keep about 3-4 meals of one type of soup in the fridge and freeze the leftovers.  No matter how good it is the first couple days, any amazing leftover gets boring after you've eaten it for a week straight.  Pop your soup (after it's cooled down, of course) into some freezer ziplock bags in individual portions, lay flat in the freezer, and BOOM, you have lunches for anytime you want.  This way when you're onto another lunch, or forgot to go to the store, you can be all like, hey! There's that awesome soup (or other dish) in the fridge!  I'm rattling on.  Here's the deets:

Look at all that STUFF!
Tortellini Soup with Beans and Chard-  Looks like I'm on an Elly Says Opa kick lately.  What can I say, she likes her soups 'bulky,' as do I.  This is hearty, filling, cheesy, and spicy!  I had never used chard before, but it's a clear winner over spinach in soups.  The chard is peppery and holds up under the heat, instead of turning into wilted mush like most spinach in soup.  I'd also double her recommendation of fire roasted diced tomatoes- they're delicious in this.  Over all this brings the heat and fills your belly.  Two thumbs up.

Sausage Lentil Soup- I made this with chicken hot italian sausage instead of keilbasa, and it was amazing.  I say, the best soup I've ever made, and we all know I love making soup.  It's very hearty, filling, and low on calories.  TallBoy said that he was "afraid it'd be bland" (I think because he's never had lentils before), but was VERY pleased with the outcome.  I also didn't serve it with Parmesan, but that would probably be pretty good.  I mean, what isn't good with cheese!?

Chicken Spaetzel Soup- This is my own recipe, and it's super easy. 

Ingredients:
2 Cups shredded, skin off, cooked chicken
2 Cups Spaetzel- I use Sophie's Choice- locally made, and I'm sure they have to be aware of their unfortunate brand name... but they're delicious, I swear)
6-8 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cup Diced Carrots
1 Cup Diced Celery
1 Cup Diced Onion
2-3 Cloves Garlic, Smashed
2 tsp Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sautee Garlic and Onion in large stew pot until onions begin to turn transparent.  Add in carrots and celery, sautee until soft.  Add bay leaf, chicken stock, salt and pepper, simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Add in chicken, simmer for another 20-30 minutes.  Add in spaetzel just before serving, let the dumplings get warm, and then serve.  Makes 6-8 generous portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment