Friday, March 8, 2013

Laugh Yoga

Lets be THIS happy this weekend.
So, I took a Laugh Yoga class the other night.  It was super weird, but highly entertaining.  The whole concept is 'fake it 'til you make it'- basically you do weird things and fake laugh until you start real laughing.  Why?  Because laughing is good for you.  I don't think anyone would argue that.  While I don't think I'll be signing up for Laugh Yoga on a regular basis, it certainly did make me think about the amount of joy and laughter in my own life.  According to our instructor, children laugh about 400 times a day.  They laugh at anything and everything.  As adults, laugh more like... 10 times a day.  So... we laughed.  For 45 minutes.  We did laughing chants, and I'll be honest, at one point, I was LAUGHING.  Like, can't control myself, crying, laughing.  For real.  It was nice.  At the end of the class, he told us about things that he does during the week- rituals, if you will, that made him happy.  I think the world would be a million times better if we all followed these rituals.  I'd really like to work these into my own life.

On Monday- Say nice things to people.  Maybe just one or two people- but if you think someone looks nice, tell them so.  Instead of just thinking it, actually tell them.  If your waiter was wonderful, let them know, don't just tell the person you're eating with.

On Tuesday- Do something new.  Instead of following your daily routine- maybe take a different way home from work.  Try a new recipe.  Just do something you've never done before, and open your horizons.

On Wednesday- Be grateful.  Instead of thinking of the things you don't have, appreciate what you DO have.  Maybe your work is stressing you out right now, but try and put it out of your mind and think of something that you already have that makes you happy.  Be Grateful.

On Thursday- Spread kindness.  Pay for the person behind you in line at the coffee shop, or the person behind you at the toll booth.  Just do a random act of kindness.  Do you see that old lady trying to cross the street?  Don't just think about helping her, just get off your butt and do it.  You'll feel awesome.  Random acts of kindness don't just benefit the person you helped, YOU will feel great for doing it.

On Fridays- Learn to forgive.  It's the end of the week.  Instead of focusing on how crappy your week was, face those feelings, and try and forgive.  Not just someone who wronged you, but forgive yourself for beating yourself up.  I blogged yesterday about trying to NOT be hard on myself.  It's Friday.  I'm going to forgive myself and try to learn from it.

On Saturdays and Sundays- Rest, Relax and Recreation.  Sleep in!  Get outside!  Breathe deep!  Our instructor said on weekends he turns his phone OFF.  I don't know if I could go that far- but I do think I need to focus less on work e-mails/ facebook/ etc. and get outside, do housework, things that will make me HAPPY when they're done.  I love painting and I haven't touched a canvas in months.  Maybe this weekend, instead of watching another mindless TV show or checking facebook, I'll get into my studio and paint.

Lets work some gratitude and joy into our lives- and instead of just focusing on our bodies health, focus on our mental health. 

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment